Mooresville Mill Village
| | Images | News | Leisure | Resources


History


Beginnings
The First Mill Houses
Early Mill House Style
Mill House Styles
Construction of Mill No. 2
Immigration and Population
The Mill Village
Village Infrastructure
Women
Mill Complex in the 20's and 30's
A Visual History of the Mill Village (slideshow)
Mooresville's Textile Heritage Slideshow (Statesville Landmark Website)



The Construction of Mill #2

The mill was so successful that by 1900 it had outgrown the capacity of Mill #1 on North Church Street and had begun construction on Mill #2 about a mile down the road on South Church Street.

1902 Sanborn Map of Mooresville Cotton Mill#2
1902 Sanborn Map


Mill #2 appears to have been built on what must have been cleared pastureland. This land may have belonged to the Templeton family or the Mills family. The Templeton family owned a lot of land in the area, including what would become the second 9 holes of the Mooresville Golf Course. The Mills owned a farm South of Mooresville, and a large farmhouse (no longer standing) at the corner of Catawba and Main across from where the Library now stands.


Here's what the 1902 Sanborn map of Mooresville says about the Mill:

Running night & day. Constant watchman when not running. Imhauser clock, 6 stations. Power & heat: steam. Heating Pipes suspended on iron brackets. Fuel: coal & wood. Light: incand. elec. No hose. Iron fire pails distd. throughout. Grinnell Automatic sprinklers throughout mill. Cotton W.Ho. not sprinkled. Sprinkler heads spaced 8” each way. 10000 gal. sprinkler tank in tower. Bottom of tank 20’ above highest line of sprinklers, except those in tower. Reservoir 87000 gals. Water is pumped to reservoir from pond on branch 1200’ NE of mill by Stillwell-Bierce & Smith-Vaile triple plunger pump. Size 3”x 4”. Pump driven by electric motor. Water pumped from reservoir to tank by boiler feed pump. Gravity pressure from tank only on sprinklers.

back to top


Mooresville Mill Village Initiative
last updated April 4, 2008